Wednesday, December 19, 2012


I know that we are all concerned and upset about the horrible events that occurred at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut on Friday, December 14th.  In no way can words adequately describe what that community is feeling at this time, and I know all of our thoughts and prayers are with them as they grieve their losses.  I do want you to know that we are taking precautions, increasing security measures, and reviewing our safety plans to do everything we can to protect your child.

Today, I talked with every class about safety procedures at Rock Mills.  We discussed our safety drills – including our “lock down” procedures, and our faculty is reviewing our school safety plan this afternoon in a faculty meeting.  Also during this week, Mr. Kirby, Randolph County Superintendent, has requested additional sheriff deputies for school patrol.  The presence of these deputies is welcome, and the students know that they are here with us practicing our safety procedures. 

One change that you may notice immediately will be our locked exterior doors.  All doors exiting to the outside will be kept locked.  The front doors will be open only from 7:00 – 7:30 a.m. each morning and from 2:00 – 2:30 p.m. each afternoon.  You are, as always, welcome to visit our school; however, if you come after 7:30 a.m. and before 2:00 p.m. you will need to be let in the front doors.  I appreciate your cooperation in this matter, and while I know that it may be of slight inconvenience to us, nothing compares to the safety of our children.

I am always available to you if you have any questions or concerns.  You may also e-mail me:  jbraden@randolph.k12.al.us, and to further increase communication, I will begin utilizing a school Twitter account, as well as continuing my blog, http://rockmillsjhsnews.blogspot.com.  I will send out further information once the Twitter account is set up and working.
Thank you for your help and cooperation in ensuring the safety of our children.

No comments:

Post a Comment